The promise of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures. Komen St. Louis works to fulfill this promise by funding breast health and breast cancer screening, treatment, education and support programs for those in need in our community.
To increase outreach efforts, Komen St. Louis may provide funds for small grants outside of/in addition to our annual community-based grant program. All projects/programs funded must be specific to breast health/breast cancer and seek to further Komen's promise. Funds will only be granted as specified below, and only to non-profit institutions, educational institutions and/or government agencies.
TYPES OF GRANTS:
Purpose: To raise awareness of breast cancer and increase the capacity of effective breast health programs
Amount: Up to $5,000
Recognition requirements: The St. Louis Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® must be recognized in all materials.
Purpose: To assist grantees, health care professionals and advocates to attend meetings, conferences or symposia that would increase the community knowledge of breast cancer and facilitate the exchange of ideas and communication between the scientific and lay public.
Amount: A limit of one person per organization per event can receive funding for training or conference attendance and associated travel. If such a grant is awarded, Komen St. Louis will provide up to 50% of costs (maximum of $2,000) for training or conference attendance and associated travel with the understanding that the employing organization will provide at least 50%. Travel scholarship recipients must submit original receipts and a final report in order to be reimbursed.
Purpose: To partner with other organizations to support local scientific or educational conferences, with an emphasis on those that enhance the interaction between the advocate, health care and scientific communities. The content must focus on breast cancer or breast cancer must make up a significant part of the conference
Amount: Up to $5,000.
Recognition requirements: Conference organizers must provide complimentary registration for at least two (2) Komen St. Louis representatives and a Komen St. Louis display area where appropriate. In addition, Komen St. Louis must be recognized in all materials.
Applicants and institutions must conform to the following eligibility criteria to be considered for funding:
• Applicants must ensure that all past and current Komen-funded grants or awards are up-to-date and in compliance with Komen requirements.
• Applicants must be located in or providing services in the City of St. Louis or St. Louis, Montgomery, Lincoln, Warren, Franklin, Washington, St. Charles, Jefferson, Ste. Genevieve, St. Francois, Perry, and Madison counties in Missouri or the Illinois counties of Clinton, St. Clair, Madison, and Monroe.
• Project must be specific to breast health and/or breast cancer
• The applicant must be a non-profit organization with federal tax exemption. Individuals may not receive grants.
• Funding requests should not be for projects that provide direct services such screening, diagnostics or treatment and would normally go through the yearly peer-reviewed Komen Grant process.
SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION:
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Komen St. Louis Grants Committee will review each grant request and recommend those that are appropriate to the Affiliate Board for approval. Funding decisions are based on the criteria set forth above. Please allow up to six weeks for grant review process.
Applicants will be notified in writing as to the status of their Small Grant application. Upon approval by the Komen St. Louis Board, the applicant will receive a letter of agreement which serves as the Grant Contract. The letter must be signed and returned to the Komen St. Louis office before any funds will be disbursed.
Written reports must be submitted within forty-five (45) days after holding or attending conferences and/or after completion of project. Reports should include the following:
- Brief explanation of the nature of the program, conference, or (for Travel Scholarship), seminar/training attended
- A short summary describing the outcomes and accomplishments of this project
- Description of how program goals and/or objectives were met
- Description of any challenges or obstacles encountered that prevented or obstructed the achievement of the program's goals and/or objectives
- Specifics of participation
- A final, detailed accounting of expenditures
Failure to submit a written report within the required time frame will render the applicant ineligible for future Komen St. Louis grants.
Any questions about the Small Grant Program should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-569-3900.
To apply for a small grant, please visit the Komen Grants e-Management System (GeMS) at https://affiliategrants.komen.org.